Dear Student, Faculty and Staff,
Millennia Atlantic University (MAU) is closely monitoring Tropical Storm Isaias, and according to the National Hurricane Center, the weather system is moving toward the Caribbean Sea and could impact South Florida this weekend. Although it is too early to state the impact, Tropical Storm Isaias may have in South Florida. Still, due to the high incident of Covid-19 cases, the University is urging the MAU community to start reviewing and finalizing their hurricane plans as soon as possible. We recommend our students, staff, and faculty that have left their hurricane plans for the last minute to start securing supplies now, before any formal announcement is communicated regarding Tropical Storm Isaias.
Be aware that preparation and awareness are essentials. If you need help in what to include in an emergency kit, please follow the guidelines provided by Miami-Dade County’s 2020 Official Hurricane Readiness Guide.
Make sure your emergency kit is stocked with the items on the checklist below:
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery powered or hand crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter in place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can Opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
As the COVID-19 pandemic is still ongoing, please follow health recommendations of social distancing and keep “Doing the Five”:
- HANDS: Wash them often
- ELBOWS: Cough into it
- FACE: Don’t touch it
- SPACE: Keep safe distance
- HOME: Stay if you can
Should an emergency occur, MAU will inform our students, faculty, and staff of any changes in scheduling and/or cancellation of classes via our website under the MAU Alert link and on our social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook).
Your Campus President,
Aristides Maza Duerto