Dear Student, Faculty and Staff,
As the number COVID-19 cases in the State of Florida keep growing, we all need to do our part to “flatten the curve” of this global pandemic. A flatter curve is created by a more gradual increase in the number of cases per day of this extremely contagious virus. The health care system has a fixed capacity of the number of people it can treat per day. The flatter the curve, the more likely the number can fall under that maximum capacity and allow patients necessary access. Accordingly, I recommend all of our students, faculty, and staff members to not travel overseas or domestically, to practice social distancing by staying at home, and to keep “Doing the Five” to help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- HANDS: Wash them often
- ELBOWS: Cough into it
- FACE: Don’t touch it
- SPACE: Keep safe distance
- HOME: Stay if you can
Millennia Atlantic University’s Board has made three essential decisions in doing our part to help keep our students, faculty, and staff safe:
First, we are transitioning from our traditional in-classroom teaching modality to remote instruction. Beginning Monday, March 30, the classes for the spring 2020 and the spring 2020 mid-term start will be taught through the remote online instruction platform “Google Hangouts.” Our student body is being contacted about next week’s transition to remote online learning. If you are a MAU student and have not been contacted, please check your @student.maufl.edu email address for detailed information.
If you do not have your @student.mafl.edu e-mail or if you are having problems connecting, please contact Students Services immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The links below will provide you with instructions on how to use “Google Hangouts.”
Second, as mentioned in a previous alert, the end date of the spring 2020 semester has been extended to May 9, 2020. Please take note of the following previously published dates:
- Spring Break remains as previously scheduled from Monday March 23rd through Sunday, March 29th
- Classes will resume Monday, March 30th
- The last day of 2020 spring semester will be extended through Saturday, May 9th
- Final exams will begin on Monday, May 4th and conclude on Saturday, May 9th
MAU students, please keep note of these critical updates:
- To repeat, the current 2020 spring and spring mid-term students will resume their classes on March 30th, virtually using “Google Hangouts.”
- Follow your current course syllabi outlines schedules. The only modification we have made is extending week 15 from May 4th to May 9the for your final exams, reports, or presentations. This extension provides the necessary make up days for classes missed from March 16th through March 21st.
- Your classes will follow the same schedule you have right now. For example, if your class was on Mondays from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm, the virtual instruction will take place on the same date and at the same time. Attendance will be taken and monitored.
Third, for the security of our staff members and their loved ones and consistent with recommendations from Miami-Dade County, MAU’s campus building will remain closed until further notice. Our dedicated employees, however, will be assisting our students and community remotely. If you need to contact any of our administrative staff, they can be reached from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. via telephone using the main telephone number of (786) 331-1000), or via email.
For your convenience, a list of MAU staff email addresses and telephone extensions are provided here:
|Department||Name||Phone & Extension|
|Campus PresidentPresidente del campus||Aristides Maza||786-331-1000 ext email@example.com|
|CFO/Compliance||Orianna Maza||786-331-1000 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Vice Academic Director||Teresa Fitzgerald||786-331-1000 ext email@example.com|
|Business & HR Department Chair||Jimmy Pinto||786-331-1000 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Registrar||Natasha Aleong||786-331-1000 ext email@example.com|
|Financial Aid Manager||Maria Velar||786-331-1000 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Student Services & Placement Manager||Angela Penas||786-331-1000 ext email@example.com|
|Bursar||Jenice Maza||786-331-1000 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Marketing & Admissions Director||Alma Ubilla||786-331-1000 ext email@example.com|
|Admissions Coordinator||Andrea Beltran||786-331-1000 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Admissions Representative||Adriana Rupcich||786-331-1000 ext email@example.com|
For more information on the spread of the virus, and how to care for yourself and your loved ones read the resources and guidelines provided by the Florida Department of Health website, at http://miamidade.floridahealth.gov. In addition, The Florida Department of Health has activated a hotline for people in the state of Florida that have questions or concerns regarding COVID-19. The call center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and can be reached by calling 866-779-6121, or via email at COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Some additional resources for you are:
- Miami Dade County COVID-19 information
- World Health Organization COVID-19 information
- U.S. Department of State travel advisories
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention travel health notices
Again, please be sure to check your email, the MAU website and MAU social media often, as updates are being posted as they become available.
Dr. Aristides Maza Duerto